Tuesday 7 December 2010

Cai Yuan Lecture - Cai Yuan and Jian Jun Xi (Mad for Real)


Cai Yuan's talk more than anything made me think about elements of my own practice, that initial thought process when it comes to my work; i always just assume that my work -unless Ive made a conscious decision otherwise, will end up in some form of white enclosed gallery space. and it was really interesting to see an artist who's work was so easily accessible, It was just that the two of them had just decided to take there work out of the gallery. 
During the Biennial the Tala Madani mural on the Gable end 24 Fleet Street had also started me off thinking about working in and out of the studio/gallery space. i think its because of the nature of my work at the minute, the insanely time consuming nature of the crosstitches and animations, that i really want to do something a little more disposable or ephemeral. Something thats outside of the usual white space. 
i think Cai Yuan and Jian Jun Xi's work has impressed a want on my behalf to move out of the studio, I'm not sure for how long the whim will take me, but i think there work has shown me that its not such an alien and difficult concept - the Tala Madani mural had started off that interest, but the sheer practicalities and logistics had phased me, it seemed a little out of my grasp. Cai Yuan and Jian Jun Xi's work however had shown me that its really not that imposing a concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment